Saturday, July 14, 2007

Sh2-171 Calf Head Nebula In Cepheus

click here
©2007 Richard Murray

Full Size Image

Techno Stuff: 7/13/07 ATK-16hr, Megrez 80mm APO at F/6, mounted on LX90 8" SCT, Ha 6nm 40 minutes total with 20 min subs, binning 1x1, Autoguided with CCD Labs Q-Guide and PHDGuide from LX90, Darks Applied, CCDStack, Photoshop CS2, PixInsight

Notes: My original plan was to just try out my new Q-Guide autoguider (cmos webcam) and PHDGuide expecting a night of frustration while I worked the bugs out. Even if it was the unlucky mornning of Friday the 13th, after a few hiccups the darn thing started to work, so I went over to the constellation Cepheus and got this image. Notice the large Calf Head in the upper center (Keep looking, you'll see it. Hint - It's turned sideways with the nose pointing right).

This is part of a much larger nebula, much too large for my setup, but I managed to also image another portion near the bottom of the complex which I'll post next after the processing is done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rick!

You are so lucky to have a hobby that just gets better with time. And I can see the little cow too. Funny but if you were to draw a line straight down from the tip of his/her nose it looks like there is a little bunny (facing left) nestled in the great cosmos...

What a great time of year to be out star gazing too.

Nancy

Rick said...

Thanks Nancy. I really do enjoy my hobby.

And yes I do see that bunny only mine is facing towards me and looks like a cartoon bunny. No kidding! I guess it's like searching for objects in a cloud. Everybody sees something different.

Rick